Understanding your energy consumption is the first step to knowing how to reduce it. The Kill-A-Watt EZ Meter is a device that measures the amount of electricity various household electric appliances and electronics use. Kill-A-Watt EZ Meters not only measure the real-world performance of your appliances, they quickly identify the biggest opportunity for savings.
How Does the Program Work?
- In partnership with Indiana Michigan Power, public libraries in Indiana Michigan Power (Indiana) service territory offer a number of Kill-A-Watt EZ Meters for checkout – just like any audio–visual materials.
- Visit your local library and check out one of the Kill-A-Watt EZ Meters.
- If meter is not available, the meter can be reserved and borrower may check it out once it becomes available.
- View a list of participating libraries.
How Does a Kill-A-Watt EZ Meter Work?
- Take meter home and plug into any standard wall outlet
- Refer to a recent electric bill. Divide the total bill amount by your kWh usage for the month to obtain the cost per kWh. Locate your cost per kWh on the menu button of the meter.
- Plug your appliance into the meter and the meter will read the energy use of the appliance plugged into it.
- The meter will measure kilowatt hours (kWh) used over the period of time it is engaged. The meter also allows you to calculate your electrical expenses by the day, week, month or even year.
- Meters come packaged in boxes that include instructions to help users calculate energy costs associated with household electrical appliances.