Your old fridge or freezer could be adding up to $150 to your energy bill1. Recycle it and save energy! We’ll pay you $40 and pick up your old working appliance, for no cost!
Fridges and freezers made before 1993 are very inefficient. A pre-1993 unit costs more than twice as much to operate as a new model. Fridges and freezers from the 1970s cost four times more to operate!2
Use the Flip Your Fridge calculator to find out how much your old fridge is costing you.
Schedule Your Pick Up Today!
It’s fast and easy! Schedule your pickup online by picking your state – Indiana or Michigan or call 800-253-5661. You will need to your account number to schedule your pickup. If you don’t remember your account number you can find it:
- Look up by phone number
- Check your online account
- Call Customer Care at 800-311-4634
- Check your statement
Note: Account number format is the FIRST 10 digits with no dashes or spaces.
Attention Michigan: The response for 2017 has been huge! We are currently scheduling pickups in January.
Recycling is Good for the Environment
Recycling your older, working appliance will help you reduce energy use and costs while taking the appliance off your hands in a way that’s good for the environment. The units are sent to a recycling facility where 95% of the material is recycled, and hazardous waste is disposed of in an environmentally safe manner.
Fact: The average 10 year old refrigerator contains more than 120 pounds of recyclable steel!3.
Click to enlarge
Recycling in Action
Ask Our Experts. Call 855-253-5661
To be eligible for Appliance Recycling, you must meet the following criteria.
- I&M residential customer.
- Refrigerator and/or freezer must empty and working when picked up.
- Refrigerator and/or freezer must be 10 – 30 cubic feet in size (inside measurement).
- Customers must own the unit(s) being recycled or receive consent from their landlord.
- There is a maximum of two units per year, per customer.
Ask Our Experts. Call 855-253-5661
How many appliances can I recycle?
There is a maximum of two units per customer, per year.
How much is the rebate?
The rebate is $40 per working refrigerator or freezer.
Will you pick up my refrigerators and freezer?
What does it cost for you to pick up my refrigerators and freezer?
There is no charge.
Does the refrigerators and freezer need to work?
Yes. The fridge / freezer must be working when we pick it up.
How long until I get my rebate check?
Please allow 4-6 weeks for your rebate check to arrive.
Can I recycle my air conditioner?
At this time, we are only accepting refrigerators and freezers in the recycling rebate program. The Recycling Locator will help you find a local recycling company that will take your appliance.
Where do I recycle other large appliances?
The Recycling Locator will help you find a local recycling company that will take your appliance
Who recycles the appliances?
We partner with ARCA Recycling to provide state-of-the-art appliance recycling services designed to guarantee that every appliance collected is fully demanufactured in accordance with federal, state and local rules and regulations.
Save More with Rebates and Discounts
I&M has a range of products, rebates and discounts to help you make easy energy saving upgrades to your home. These include:
- Online Energy Checkup – Helps you understand where you’re using energy, so you can take steps to reduce it. You will also get a kit, valued at $25, of energy saving products.
- IM Home – Save up to $161 a year with IM Home and a Smart Thermostat.
- Energy Saving Products – Rebates on energy saving products like ceiling fans, dehumidifiers, AC and heat pumps.
- Home Energy Checkup / Weatherproofing – The Home Energy Checkup, a $430 value, is available to customers with electric heat for no additional charge.* I&M will also pay up to $3,000 in weatherproofing upgrades.