Weatherproof your home and save 5%-30% a year on your energy bills!
The Home Energy Checkup, a $430 value, is available to customers with electric heat for no additional charge. You could also qualify for I&M to pay 100% of weatherproofing upgrades.
Homeowners who are not income qualified may qualify to have 50% paid.*
The in-home checkup identifies,
- how much energy your home uses
- where your home is wasting energy
- what weatherproofing upgrades are needed to lower your home’s energy use
- the best order to do the upgrades for biggest impact on your monthly bill
Energy.gov estimates homeowners who make the recommended upgrades could save 5%-30% on their annual bill (an average of $105 – $627) and improve the comfort of their home.
Call 855-231-5274 to schedule your appointment.
The In-home Checkup
Our energy experts are certified by the Building Performance Institute (BPI). BPI is the leader in setting technical standards for home energy auditing and energy efficient upgrades.
Our energy expert will spend 2-4 hours at your home. They will do a room-by-room checkup of your home energy use including; check for air leaks, inspect your insulation, perform a blower door test and infrared test and more. They will also look at health and safety issues that may be present.
Begin Saving Immediately
To help you begin saving immediately, our energy experts can install – for no added charge, LED bulbs, showerheads, faucet aerators, pipe wrap and other products to improve your energy savings.
Report and Recommendations
After reviewing the test results and conditions of your home, our energy expert will,
- review test results including, your home’s energy profile, insulation levels, blower door results and any health and safety concerns
- provide weatherproofing recommendations
- offer other recommendations to make your home more efficient and comfortable
- give a list of the most important items to address
- help schedule the improvements with a qualified contractor
- help you get up to $3,000 in weatherproofing upgrades
Enjoy the benefits like lower energy costs, greater comfort, and peace of mind. Start saving with a Home Energy Checkup. Call 855-231-5274 to schedule your appointment or tell us the best time, and we will contact you.
To be eligible for the Home Energy Checkup / Weatherproofing, you must meet the following criteria.
- I&M Residential Customer
- Single family home
- Duplex Home
- Electric Heat
- Have not had a Home Energy Checkup in the last three years at that home
- Meet household income levels of 200% of poverty level or below. These income levels are based on the Federal Income Guidelines published by the US Department of Energy Weatherization Program.
2018 Household Income Eligibility Guidelines
Number of People in Household
I live in a mobile home. Will you do a Home Energy Checkup?
Mobile homes do not qualify
I rent my home. Will you do an Home Energy Checkup?
Yes. However, we must have the landlord’s approval in writing. Please have them sign the Rental Property Service Agreement.
Does my landlord need to give permission?
Yes. Please have your landlord sign the Rental Property Service Agreement.
Do I need to be home for the Home Energy Checkup?
Yes. An adult, 18 years or older, must be there during the entire Home Energy Checkup.
How long does the Checkup take?
It will take about 2-3 hours for our energy expert to check your home, perform the different tests and install the LED bulbs, pipe wrap and other energy saving products.
What is a blower door test?
Our energy experts use a blower door test to help determine how tight or leaky your house is. During a blower door test a powerful fan is mounted into the frame of an exterior door. The fan pulls air out of the house, lowering the air pressure inside. Outside air then flows in through all cracks and openings. This exaggerates the leaks in your home so they can be identified and measured. This test recreates the conditions a house experiences during 20 mph wind gusts.
Do I need to do anything before the Home Checkup?
The energy expert will need access to every room in your house, the attic, basement and crawlspace.
Please confirm you pets in a secure area. It would be very helpful if you made a list of any existing problems like drafty rooms or uncomfortable rooms.
What is a Home Energy Audit or Home Energy Assessment?
These are different names for the Home Energy Checkup.
What is a Thermographic or Infrared Inspection?
Thermography measures the surface temperature by using infrared video and still cameras. These tools see light that is in the heat spectrum. Images on the video or film record the temperature variations of the home, ranging from red for hot regions to black for cooler areas. These images help the energy expert determine where your home is losing energy.
Save More with Rebates and Discounts
I&M has a range of products, rebates and discounts to help you make easy energy saving upgrades to your home. These include:
- Online Energy Checkup – Helps you understand where you’re using energy, so you can take steps to reduce it. You will also get a kit, valued at $25, of energy saving products.
- IM Home – Save up to $161 a year with IM Home and a Smart Thermostat.
- Appliance Recycling – Recycle your old, working fridge or freezer and get $40.
- Energy Saving Products – Rebates on energy saving upgrades like ceiling fans, dehumidifiers, AC and heat pumps.