With Smart Shift, you can reduce the amount you pay for electricity just by using it wisely and at the right time. All the electricity you use during off-peak hours is billed at a significant discount. The lower off-peak rate is billed about 95% of the year.
This is possible because off-peak hours are when the demands for electricity are lowest. By using less electricity during the day, you’re helping us keep the power flowing to all our customers – and you’re helping the environment. Call 800-311-4634 to sign-up.
Smart Shift is currently available to residential customers in the South Bend Meter Pilot Program.
Rates and Hours
Off-peak Discounted Rates
Rate: 7.821 cents per kWh
May – September: All day except 2 p.m. – 6 p.m., Monday through Friday
October – April: 24/7
Peak Hour Rates
Rate: 19.881 cents per kWh
May-September: 2 p.m. – 6 p.m., Monday through Friday
How to Save
You will save if you are able to use more electricity during off-peak hours.
- Turn off your air conditioner during the day, or turn thermostat up five to ten degrees.
- If you have an electric water heater, install a timer to heat water only at night.
- Wait to run your dishwasher until evening.
- Instead of using your electric oven, cook with smaller appliances like your microwave or toaster oven.
- Keep track of how and when you use your electric appliances to determine what tasks you can delay until off-peak hours.
Saving Energy is Smart! It’s easier than ever to have a more comfortable, energy-saving home and to help protect the environment. Start saving with these products, rebates and discounts.